Tuesday, October 27, 2015

WEEK 9. DROWNING IN PAPER

According to the book, I should now be working on books, but I love books and it's going to be hard for me to discard any, so I'm postponing that and instead will do “papers”. I'm a writer and in my office I am surrounded by six file drawers for clippings, documents, articles, bank statements, and health records. I also have some of the shelves in my seven tall bookcases stacked with pages of typed manuscripts. Same with a 'working' table that has no space for work. And there are several drawers in the family room stuffed with various kinds of papers, such as maps and recipes. So I decided I had papers, not books, that urgently needed discarding.  But how was I going to pile all of them in the middle of the room.

Impossible. For most of the discarding, I would have to do it, drawer by drawer, surface by surface. Sorry Marie. I hope this isn't a fatal flaw in successfully completing your plan. But when you discover how much I discard you might understand. Several months ago, before I read the book, I had already gone through and discarded two garbage sacks of papers. And I still have tons left.

I don't know if holding the papers and feeling a spark of joy will work in this category either. The papers I keep will be 'necessary'. What I discard will be either not necessary or not joyful.

If you still believe I couldn't be worse than you, I have all my bank books which lists deposits and checks since I graduated from college. Yes, years of them. If I ever write a memoir of my epic trip to Europe I can check exactly what I paid for a steamship crossing.

I started working on this category with all papers on top of surfaces. First off, I realized this category also includes book marks, business cards, and folder tabs for new folders. These I kept on two shelves and did reduce them to one shelf. But I'm keeping notebooks and diaries that I probably should just throw out, but I can't. Maybe later. I know the Kondo method would say 'later' means 'never'.

I am failing miserably in this category. I have folders for airline and hotel memberships and they are full of junk mail, but I'm afraid I might throw away something important for claiming miles or perks. I did clean them out a bit, but instead of throwing the whole file away I just moved it to a more hidden place. Arrgh.

This is much worse than working on my clothes. Three hours and not even halfway through.

Some files, map,
still messy board, 
I've completed three large book cases on the north side of my office. I still have two two-drawer file cabinets on that side to go through later. Now I've moved on to the first bookcase (of four) on the south side. There are envelopes, stationery, including from foreign hotels, and a large box of cards (birthday and thank you) from friends for more than ten years. I'll only save those congratulating me on my first book to encourage me to keep writing. And then there's a box of cards from my children and other family members. I must keep those. I organized new, unused Xmas cards received from charitable organizations into a usable stack. I did throw away some unsuitable ones. Most I kept for this coming Christmas and then will discard any still left. (Do I really trust myself to throw them away later? It's probably not in the Kondo spirit to keep putting off discards).

I went through years of medical records that were stacked on a bookshelf next to my books about health. It took me almost two hours to go through and throw most away. How many years of negative mammogram reports does anyone need? I did keep some records, mainly those about major incidents, broken knee, surgery, rotator cuff. I'm really very healthy so it's amazing that I have so many papers relating to health issues. But I hate to throw anything out.

This habit may have been inherited. Whenever my mother would ask my father if she should throw something away, he'd say, “We've got the room, so might as well keep it.” This created a terrible problem when it came to clean out the house they had lived in for more than fifty years. That is one of the reasons I'd like to reduce the items in my life.

Well, enough about the agony of deciding which papers are necessary and which discardable. None really give me a spark of joy. Well, yes, reading over cards from friends is pleasant, so I'm not going to throw them away. Earlier I said I'd discard those but I changed my mind.

OK, moving on. Maps also come under papers. I have a drawer stuffed with maps. Marie would say throw them away.  They are out of date, and current maps are easily accessed on the internet. But I like maps. I've always liked maps and was pleased to know that Ken Jennings, the 'Jeopardy' TV champ wrote a book about liking maps, Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks. I also have a crazy idea that all the state maps I'm saving may some day be worth a lot of money, when nobody prints them anymore. So I will keep them for my great grandchildren to get rich. More likely my children will throw them out after I'm gone.
What's hiding under the quilt?

The paper category is not going to be done in one attempt. I forgot all the paper I have under a quilt covered work table in my office. The quilt was made by my grandmother and mother when I graduated from grade school (no middle school in my town). It has a yellow background with pieced appliques of sixteen sun bonnet Sues made out of my cotton school dresses. Each square is embroidered with the name of an eighth grade friend. It's a special treasure to me, but I had forgotten what it hides. Kondoing what's under the quilt will be covered in my next blog.

Halloween will be the perfect time also to face the horrors of a lifetime of clipped, saved, and unused recipes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment