Monday, October 12, 2015

WEEK 7. WHAT'S AN UNMENTIONABLE?

Today is the day I was going to do my last large category of clothes, dresses, suits, and pants outfits but it's just too hot to try on clothes. It's October and should be cool, but the blazing temperatures are not yet gone. And I have to try on these items because if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter how much joy it sparks.  I have to get rid of it.

So I did small things. It's funny, but I just remembered an old-fashioned term. Unmentionables. Would anybody under thirty know that was a term used to describe underwear? Anyway, whatever you call them, that was next on my schedule. 

 I first went through underpants and bras, discarding nothing because I had gone through them a few months before I started this tidying up project and they were in good shape.

Nightgowns/pajamas, ditto. I have one beautiful cotton lawn, heavily embroidered knee length night gown I bought in Thailand nine years ago. I love it but it's getting frayed under the arms and I should get rid of it, but I keep hoping I will find a magic tailor who can repair it. It only cost $25 (remember I said Thailand, nine years ago) and I bought it because I was mad at my husband who said I shouldn't buy anything at the 'night market', so I bought this in a very upscale store. Not a very rational reason but it does bring me joy.

Swim suits, I finally found one that fit and looked good a few weeks ago, so I could get rid of the two piece suit with its fluffy top draped to hide bellies that I have always hated. I did keep my 'back up' suit, which isn't perfect, but since we live in southern California I feel I need to keep a back up suit. It does not spark joy, but I think it's necessary right now. The more I wear the new suit, the more I like it.

Socks. This was a fruitful category. Again I was shocked to discover I had forty-one pairs!! Why do I need forty-one pairs of socks, white, black, brown, and several novelty pairs trimmed with Santa Claus or Winnie the Pooh, and several knee length 'nylons' for under trousers. I got rid of nine pairs, mainly some heavy black wool socks which I don't know why I've kept. They would only be useful at the North Pole. Giving away nine of forty-one is 22%.

So I didn't do much in this category. But to date I have emptied two dresser drawers, and I can actually see the tops and bottoms hanging in my closet. Also my seven shoe boxes of Kondo folded tee shirts look nice. Next week I finish up the clothing category.

No comments:

Post a Comment