Monday, September 21, 2015

WEEK 4. A Sea of Shoes

Well, I did something that might seem to be against all the other non-cluttering methods but I hope it will be the start of my 'new life'. I was in Walmart to buy some essentials when I noticed a beach towel sale and one towel called my name. Looking at it I was filled with happiness. It was in pink, yellow and green, with drawings of pineapples and other fun stuff. My beach towels have always been scruffy, worn objects, because they get rough use from sand, cement and chlorine. But now I look at this towel and hope it is the first of choosing objects for joy rather than for utility. And the price of all this happiness—nine dollars.
A very happy beach towel

As I said last week, I also had to go through the difficult process of finding a new bathing suit. And I did. I didn't get a spark of joy when I touched it, but at least I didn't scowl at myself in the mirror when I tried it on. I think I'd have to lose a number of pounds and a number of years before a bathing suit could bring a spark of joy.

But back from the beach, I'm on to the next step in my magic tidying-up—shoes! I have trouble finding shoes that fit, so I feel I don't have very many. But they do take up a lot of space. Maybe I have more than I think.

I called all the shoes to a meeting on the floor and sat surrounded by a sea of shoes looking to me for guidance. Well, I counted them. I have thirty-eight pairs of shoes and after careful consideration and looking for sparks of joy I am getting rid of only two pairs. I now understand why Marie says its best to get rid of clothes first. I have three pairs of navy and two pairs of grey shoes--colors I rarely wear, but as long as I have clothes in those colors I can't get rid of the 'go with' shoes. Hmm. Her method is beginning to make more sense.

Only two pairs discarded.  What am I
doing wrong?
I did get rid of a pair of very dark green suede which I like but when I wear them everyone thinks they're black, so there's no point in giving them space. I need green shoes that look green. The other pair, a very comfortable black Cole Hahn loafers, were completely worn and scuffed. They did not spark joy. I needed to let them go. But I feel I need green shoes and black loafers so eventually I'll have to replace them.

I'm trying not to buy new until I am through with my complete tidying up process. (I really needed a new bathing suit and the towel was pure joy, so they don't count.)
How many are too many?
Right before I read the book, I did buy new shoes--blue Keds with pink roses (I'm a sucker for pink), and multicolored, thin strappy sandals. I bought the sandals as I knew an older, similar pair were about to give up their elastic and I wanted to be prepared and they were on sale. A third pair was a more attractive replacement for some old, thick, ugly brown sandals, with cracked soles, but were so comfortable I hated to throw them away. They are now gone forever. This took place before the tidying-up started.

A side benefit to working on my shoes was cleaning out about fifty plastic sacks that were stuck in around the shoe boxes I kept on a closet shelf. I don't know why the sacks were there. I guess I just clutter for no good reason. 

I am keeping the empty shoe boxes for the time being because as Marie says, they're good for organizing drawers. And I can see my neatly folded T shirts fitting in them.

Unfortunately, since I tidied out of order, I will probably have to redo my shoes once I have finished with all my clothes. Next week I will start with tops.   

At the right are my double hung shoe holders.  And I also have a six foot shelf of shoes.  Obviously, I need to do better.  I would really appreciate knowing how many pairs of shoes you have.  How many are too many?



No comments:

Post a Comment